PAGE 1: Report on Church

PAGE 2: Yardwork for our neighbor, a widow:

PAGE 11: Being saved from the clutches of "nomonya":

Apparently the miracles of modern medicine in 1980 were sufficient to cure me of my painful pneumonia. Dr. Katz, I owe you yet again. Funny enough, I actually had lunch with Dr. Katz earlier today. I wish I would have remembered this page beforehand and shown it to him.
An even earlier notebook of my writings was preserved by miraculous intervention. In 1990, during my freshman year at the University of Utah, some friends and I decided to drive a 4x4 along the abandoned railroad grade from Promontory to the ghost town of Kelton, Utah. My family and I used to spend every summer in Kelton on my Grandpa Fehlman's ranch. I hadn't been there since he retired and sold the place about 13 years earlier but the old white wooden house where we lived was still standing despite the roof having collapsed in certain places. While wandering through the abandoned house, I came across a light blue spiral notebook in the bottom drawer of an old dresser. It contained stories and drawings of princesses and horses by my older sister, Blythe, but one precious ripped page contained the following priceless interchange between me (age 6 at the time) and my older brother, Shawn (age 8):
Translations of 6 year old Mitch's phonetic spelling:"yor" - your
"Sekrut" - secret
"Miyr" -'mirer (short for admirer)
"MorGrrt" - Margaret (Margaret Finch)
"MaLssae" - Melissa
I guess it proves that, even at age 6, language is power. Shawn's ranting rebuttal and the fact that we tried to scratch out each other's cutting sentences are the proof. I wish I could remember who Jamie Hart and Pam were that made them worthy of his backlash!
5 comments:
fantastic!
wow, that is amazing. I couldn't read all of it because it was so small. Was there any mention of throwing christmas lights into oncomming traffic? What a treasure...my favorite is the line about you being a pansi
oh sorry, I guess that word was PAM
I wish I had written pansi! Thanks for the great laugh today Mitch. I cried, reading those notes. My only solace is that you will be at my side in hell for all the bad things we used to say about "Morgrrt".
This same scene played itself out over and over well into the future -- always beginning with my smart mouth and eventually ending up with my head in the corner of the waterbed frame with Shawn's knee on my temple, me faking asphyxiation or death (usually both), Shawn starting to feel guilty about my demise and releasing his prisoner, then me shouting taunting remarks as I frantically try to escape up the shag carpet stairs, then grunts and groans as Shawn drags me down those same shag carpet stairs by my ankles. And yes, I'm confident Morgrrt will be at the judgment bar to send us to our rightful places...
Post a Comment