Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Pinewood Derby and a Need for Therapy

It is a well known fact that once a year a serious mental illness strikes the males in the Moffitt Family, leaving the women of the family to wonder if their marriages can survive another year. For reasons unknown (and unknowable) to Moffitt Females, we men find ourselves needing to throw our entire souls into a block of pine for days and weeks on end, neglecting nearly all other aspects of our lives. Such was true again this year for me. For Drew's third and final year of cub scouts (and pinewood derbies), he and I created a 1958 Corvette Convertible complete with homemade gearshifter, steering wheel, vanity plates from the State of Idaho, and white wall tires. Drew won the "Most Awesome Car" award and came in a respectible 5th place for speed (out of about 25 cars). I'm hoping I have passed along the illness to him and to his future male posterity.
Here are Drew's cars from the last three years.

Drew, now 10 years old, is still growing like a weed and is quite a bit taller than most of his classmates. He just started a new basketball season so I hope to post some updates on the blog sometime soon. He is also doing really great in school. In the office, I have run into grade school girls of various ages that giggle and proclaim they have secret crushes on Drew. I'm not sure who should be more embarrassed by my lack of confidentiality: Drew or the girls!

6 comments:

Darsha said...

yea you have a blog. great cars. Logan has his first derby tomorrow we will be lucky if the car finishes without losing a wheel. We really haven't put that much into it. I feel bad cause someone has to lose right? I hope is isn't him.

lorelie said...

I can hardly believe those beauties started as a block of wood. Is it really possible? They are awesome! The competition has come a long way since my brothers were in scouts.

Hooray for the blog! I love knowing what the Moffitts are up to.

Blythe said...

Very nice Mitch. The first Pinewood derby year for Christian, Dad helped with the car. I think we hurt Dean's feelings because he took over after that. He just doesn't get that this is not a matter of competition but a feat of engineering and skill that is embedded in the Moffitt genes. It is the first step in later becoming a remote control airplane junkie.

Dents said...

I am very happy with your choice to start a blog. It is going to be hard for you to keep it current though, with all the circumcisions, wood carving, and scouting your involved with.

Mandi said...

knock! knock! Hey there...I found your blog and am well, you know, probably going to be stocking it from now on...MWAH HA HA!
ps. circumcision?
pss. the little ones are growing up so fast!!!

Anonymous said...

MOFFITS!!!! Yay!!! I'm so glad that you have a blog. Awesome. This is Kathi Jensen by the way. I'm adding you to my blog list. My blog is taffersdawn.blogspot.com